to view the bio's of the 2015 Urban Debater of the Year competition, as well as winner Leonard Irving-Thomas's acceptance speech.
Waiver/Photo Release - Minor
Waiver/Photo Release - Adult
The Urban Debater of the Year will be a debater who demonstrates commitment and dedication to debate; improvement in his or her performance, in debate and in school; academic excellence; and leadership in his or her school, urban debate league, and community.
To be eligible for nomination, the debater must be:
- A high school senior graduating between January-June 2016;
- An active competitor in their urban debate league this school year;
- An active competitor in their urban debate league last year; and
- A student with a minimum cumulative GPA of at least 2.0.
Anyone (coaches, parents, league staff, judges, students, etc.) may nominate a debater. An individual may nominate more than one debater. Nominations must be submitted by web form on the NAUDL website. All leagues are strongly encouraged to nominate at least one urban debater for this award.
All applications and supporting documents must be received by NAUDL no later than October 16, 2015 at 5:00pm Central Time.
A completed nomination includes:
- A submitted online nomination from.
- Student responses to 4 short answer prompts.
- Information on debater's community, volunteer and work activities.
- A current photo of the debater, appropriate for publication (eg. head shot). Professional photos are not required, but please provide a high quality photo of at least 100 kb. Tip: if you are using a phone to take the picture export the image from the phone as the full size.
- A waiver form signed by the students parent or guardian (PDFs are found at the top right of this page.)
Nominator's Essay: Essay should be no more than 2 pages long (double spaced and 12-point type) explaining how the nominee has shown:
- Commitment and dedication to debate;
- Demonstrated improvement in his or her performance, in debate and in school.
- Academic excellence.
- Leadership in his or her school, urban debate league, and community.
national association for urban debate leagues, 200 s. michigan ave. suite 1040, chicago, il 60604