Job Opportunities In The Urban Debate Network
Bay Area Urban Debate League (BAUDL) - Program Director
The Bay Area Urban Debate League (BAUDL) is hiring a Program Manager for the upcoming academic year.
To apply, please submit a letter of interest along with three references and a resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. All inquiries are confidential.
People of color, women and LGBTQ candidates are strongly encouraged to apply. BAUDL is committed to a diverse workplace, and to supporting our staff with ongoing career development opportunities. BAUDL is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate in its employment decisions, in accordance with state and federal law.
The Bay Area Urban Debate League (BAUDL) works with Bay Area public school districts to make competitive policy debate available to every public high school student.
BAUDL believes that debate increases student academic performance, enriches and expands their college and career opportunities, and provides the intellectual and networking tools for youth to thrive as active, responsible leaders in their communities.
- Work with teacher/coaches and BAUDL program staff for team recruitment
- Build strong relationships with students to improve retention and development. Maintain contact with students and send out reminders/notices of BAUDL activities via social media, emails, text messaging, and phone calls in advance of events.
- Create and distribute incentives for students and teams for participation and excellence
- Make sure debate teams are organized, students are aware of upcoming events, and students are registered for tournaments/workshops/camp in a timely manner
- Coordinate with SLC Manager to ensure students know about SLC opportunities and are encouraged and supported to attend
- Monitor student progress and promote students up the Novice/JV/Varsity ladder as appropriate
- Make sure weekly practices are being held by teacher/coaches and are meeting students’ needs for debate education. Work with teacher/coaches to develop a curriculum and lesson plans for practice
- Teach online practice once a week
BAUDL Organizational Commitments
- Attend weekly staff meetings
- Work with programming staff to run BAUDL events including tournaments/workshops/camps as directed by Program Director (in person for in person events and online for online events)
- Assist with BAUDL fundraisers as directed by Executive Director
- COVID vaccination
- In office position/not remote – PM must be consistently physically present at schools, BAUDL tournaments & workshops, and BAUDL office
- Heavy transportation requirements – PM must own a car or be very comfortable taking mass transportation (reimbursement provided for car/public transportation from BAUDL office)
- Must be able to multitask different work activities, shifting attention from one task to another and meeting the demands of several different stakeholders.
- Must be able to maintain a flexible work schedule that adapts to the unique and varied needs of debate events.
- 2 years experience in the policy debate field. UDL experience preferred
Salary and Benefits
- $50,000 – $60,000 dependent on experience
- Health and retirement benefits
- 3 weeks annual paid time off